Wednesday, March 30, 2005

The Lucky Streak Comes to an End

So I've been riding for over twenty years now, and in that time I've been VERY fortunate to only have one friend killed in a motorcycle accident. It was a long time ago, and he was more of an acquaintance than a close friend, but it still hit home. He was away at college, riding to work, when a car pulled out in front of him. He hit the car broadside, and died of a broken neck.

I've slowed down over the years and don't ride as aggressively as I used to. I'm fairly active on a few marque specific motorcycle boards, and I remember thinking how fortunate us R1100S riders were, since very few of us crashed. Visit some of the other motorcycle boards, and it seems like they lose a rider every month.

Our streak has sadly come to an end. Last fall, one of the senior members of the board was nearly killed when he collided with a minivan. It's now six months later, and he's still in a rehab hospital. There is a chance (albeit a slim one) that he will someday walk again, but his riding days are over.

Two weeks ago another senior board member was in a crash, and it cost him his life. A simple error in judgement, a few feet too deep into the corner; this time there were no second chances. He was 31 years old.

I didn't know him well, had never ridden with him and had never spoken to him in real life. Still, we shared a common interest and he ALWAYS made me laugh. He just knew how to push peoples buttons - even if he pissed you off, you'd still walk away laughing.

With all the news exposure to the Terry Schiavo case, I'll be drafting a living will in the near future. For me, there is one indisputable rule: if I'm on life support, and there is no chance that I'll ever be able to ride again - pull the plug.

Anyway, Shannon - ride on, amigo. Wherever you are, you're making people laugh.

Comments:
Damn. Well, I guess I should not complain about my petty problems. I am just turning 31, and I suppose I should just be glad to be alive.

Glad you are safe, but if nothing else may as well go doing something you truly love.
 
Hmm, this does not seem to show up except in here.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?